Friday, May 12, 2017

What'll it be, mate?

Coffee is serious business in Australia. I mean it. I don't really know how to describe the coffee culture here, but it is strong. Like double espresso at 8PM strong.

I've only been brave enough to order coffee in Sydney four times. Yes, that's correct. In 3.5 months, I've consumed all of 4 coffees. I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but I previously enjoyed a nice cup of decaf a few times per week. I can certainly go without it.

The first time I ventured for a coffee was the first day of school for both boys. I was a bit lost as to what to do with myself as I'd been schlepping the kids around for a few weeks. I stopped by a coffee shop on my way to buy mattresses. I fumbled through an order and the lovely barista helped me translate what I wanted. It was disgusting.

The second time was at a kids Purim (Jewish festival) party early on a Sunday morning. The event organizers were smart enough to bring in a special coffee stall for the parents. Genius. I think I went weak and got a cappuccino out of desperation. Meh.

The third time I ordered coffee was at a meeting with parents from school. My lack of Australian coffee knowledge became a very fun topic of conversation. The server and several parents tried to determine what I wanted and helped me order. It was better than round one or two but still not quite to my liking.

The fourth and final time I tried coffee was at my favorite cafe on Darling St. in our neighborhood. They have the yummiest eggs, and I thought I'd have a go at a cup of something. I've been back for food but haven't ordered a coffee again.

In researching (?) for this post, I stumbled upon this great guide to coffee in Australia. Apparently I'm not the only foreigner who doesn't know how to order coffee:

Thank you, Sydney Moving Guide!

As you'll see form the above guide, there's no drip coffee.

The guide above also fails to mention iced coffee. I don't have firsthand experience in this area, but I did hear a story about a younger American businessman meeting with an older Australian businessman for a cup of coffee in Sydney. The younger bloke orders an iced coffee and -- seeing this was a business meeting -- the server tries to dissuade him. Younger man politely pushes for his iced coffee. What shows up, according to legend, is nearly dessert: many shots of espresso, whipped cream, chocolate syrup and ice cream. Ha!

Image courtesy Sydney Food Lovers
We're learning so much and experiencing so many new and interesting things. Our global perspective is shifting right before our eyes. Its pretty spectacular to be a part of. I am thankful every day for this experience for our family.

Next up, if I'm brave enough, another post from M & E. Pray for me 🙏

No comments:

Post a Comment